Updating Your Profile PictureBy
I’m not saying that we have to look like Angelina Jolie or Brad Pitt (wouldn’t that be nice though!) to be successful in the real estate business, but we do need to be able to give our prospective clients some idea of what to expect. Why? When choosing a Realtor people want something to identify with, not just a voice over the phone or an email address. The minute you can put a name with a face there is a connection. If they have an image of you smiling in their heads, then they are much more likely to work with you than if a blank is all that comes to mind. So lets increase our chances of success as a Realtor, just buy adding a good picture.
Here are a few “Must Do’s” for profile photos . . .
1. Smile. Having a smile on your face will let people know you are friendly, besides we all look our best when we are happy.
2. Dress nicely. Looking professional in your picture will let prospective clients know you are serious about what you do.
3. Grooming. You can wear a three piece suit and still look like a slob. Tidy hair and a shave (or good trimming) are essential for you gents. Ladies, a bit of make up and neat locks are key. Don’t go overboard, just look nice.
4. Relax. If you are unhappy and tense in your photo, it shows. Remember, it’s not about perfection, it’s about showing people who you really are.
Profile pictures don’t need to be professionally taken, though that is a option. Simply a nice photo of your smiling face is all that is needed. This is the picture that current clients, prospective clients and your peers are going to associate you with, so just be your best professional self and you will be fine.
Now that we have covered the basics of what to do, there are a few “DO NOT DO’s” that need to be covered. . .
1. Inappropriate photos. You may look like a million bucks in a bikini, but your clients don’t need to know that. They also don’t need to know about your vacation to Las Vegas last year or that you have tattoos in interesting places. Please! Think professional.
2. Photos of your pets or cars. Last time I checked Fluffy was not a licensed Realtor. If you want your pets in your profile picture, that is fine, so long as the picture has you as the main focus. The same goes for your car. It may in fact be one sexy machine, but it’s not a Realtor, you are.
3. Using Someone Else’s Photo. Yep, people actually do it all the time. This is an extremely dishonest thing to do. You would not lie about the house you are showing, so why about yourself? It’s just a really silly thing to do, and it never ends well!
4. Old Photos. I was really cute in college, but that was 5 years ago! I look different now (like an actual grown up!) and my profile photo needs to reflect that. Using an old photo can be just as bad as using someone else’s if it does not look like you any more. It is a good idea to update your photo at least once a year. Other good update times would be if you just got a new hair cut, you finished a diet plan or you dramatically changed your style. Just remember that clients don’t like thinking that they are getting one thing, and winding up with something totally different. This applies to both houses and Realtors.
Think of your profile picture like this, it is your face to the world. And showing a false face is, in my opinion, worse than an outright lie. So if you decide to go the professional route and have a studio sitting, or just have a friend snap you smiling in your office, remember that all that is really needed is a smile. So put on your happy face and show it to the world.